Every estimate and invoice has a section containing general information (Details), and a section presenting the offered services/items and their costs (Items List).
This article explains the details that are shown and provides step-by-step instructions about how to create an Items List:
Specifying General Details
The Details portion contains basic information such as the estimate or invoice number, date, and so on. The table below explains the components and how to configure them.
|Send to additional recipients||To send an invoice to more than one client, click the link and then type the additional email addresses.
This option appears on Invoice forms only.
|Billing address and business info||By default, the address displayed here is the one defined in your Business Info settings. To change it, type the information you want to display (you can enter up to 355 characters). If you want the edited information to appear on all estimates/invoices/receipts that you create in the future, make sure the checkbox is selected.|
|Label||The title displayed at the top of the form (Estimate in the example at the beginning of this article). To change the label, type the label you want (e.g., Proposal) in the field.|
|Currency||The currency displayed is the one selected as your default currency in your Payment Settings. If your settings are configured to accept payments in additional currencies, you can select another currency from the dropdown list.|
|Number||The first estimate/invoice you create is automatically assigned the number 0000001, and subsequent numbers automatically increase by one. To assign your own number, enter the value in the field.|
|Purchase Order||If relevant, enter the PO number here.|
|Estimate Date / Issue Date||By default, the current date (MM/DD/YYYY) appears here. To change it, click the calendar icon and select a date.|
|Expiration Date / Due Date||By default, estimates expire one month after the estimate date, and invoices are due immediately. To change these timeframes, click the calendar icon and select a date.|
Building Your Items List
The Items section of an estimate/invoice is a list of your services or products and their costs. Any discounts you offer the client, as well as all applicable taxes, are also displayed here. The grand total is continuously calculated and updated as you work on the Items List.
The sections below explain how to create and work with an Items List:
Creating an Items List
Since most of your estimates/invoices will probably involve services that you provide frequently, the system uses your list of Services as a basis for your Items List. However, you can adapt service details and add new services or other products that are relevant, on-the-fly.
To create an Items List:
- From the Items section of the Estimate or Invoice Form, click Please select an item. Then, select a service or product from the list that opens. For example:
Note: For information about adding a new item, refer to the next section.
- If relevant, change the number in the Quantity column to the correct value (the default quantity is 1).
- Add the selected item to the Items List by clicking Add.
- Repeat Steps 1-3 to add more items to the list.
Note: For information about changing or removing an item, refer to Updating an Items List.
Adding a New Item to an Items List
We help make estimate and invoice creation hassle-free by letting you add any item you need for your form, on the spot. As these new items are generally needed only once, they are not automatically saved. However, if you want, you can select a Save checkbox when adding an item, and the item will then appear on the list shown when you next click Please select an item. Keep in mind that products you add to your items pool in this way are NOT saved to your Services list.
To add a new item to an Items List:
- From the Items section of the Estimate or Invoice Form, click Please select an item. Then, at the top of the list that opens, select New to open the New Item dialog.
- At the top of the New Item dialog, enter the item's name, description (optional), quantity and price. The name and description must be no longer than 255 characters each.
- To define a discount, select the discount type from the list (percent or currency). Then enter the value of the discount in the Discount field to the left of the list.
- To add a tax, click a Tax field to open the list of previously defined taxes. If relevant, select a tax from the list.
- If the tax you require isn't listed, select Add a new tax. Then, in the dialog that opens, enter a description for the tax and the tax rate, and click Add.
- If you think you may want to re-use this item for other estimates, check the Save this item to your list for future use checkbox.
- At the lower right corner of the New Item dialog, click Add.
The new item is added to the Items List of the estimate.
Updating an Items List
Did you select an item by mistake? Would you like to offer a 15% discount to this client only? Just click the icon in the row of the relevant item, and select the option you need.
- Delete: Removes the item from the Items List.
- Edit: Opens the Edit item dialog, from which you can add, remove or update any parameter of the item. For more details about the different parameters, refer to the previous section (Adding a New Item to an Items List).
Changes that you make in the Edit item dialog are applied to the current estimate only. If you would like to make permanent changes to the item, you need to update item settings on the My Services page.