In this article you’ll learn how to accept payments online to enjoy a faster, smoother payment experience for both you and your clients.
You’ll learn about your different processor options, as well as your clients’ payment options.
Overview of online payments
Once you enable and set up online payments, you can accept online payments in a variety of ways:
- Get paid online directly upon booking
- Get paid online using electronic invoices
- Get paid online directly from your client portal and/or website
You can receive payments:
- Directly to your bank account using Stripe or Square
- Directly to your PayPal account
Clients can pay you:
- Using a credit card if you connect to Stripe or Square
- Via PayPal
Note: If PayPal is your only payment processor, you will not be able to charge credit cards in person (i.e, manually key in a payment). For in-person charges, connect to either Stripe or Square, as well.
Overview of payment processors
You can connect your account to several popular online payment processors and/or gateways.
Select the one that best meets your business needs, preferences, and business location.
You have two main types of payment processing options:
- Receive payments directly to your bank account with Stripe or Square
- The Square and Stripe payment processors provide you with direct deposits into your bank account.
- With Stripe or Square as your payment processor, you can also accept and charge credit cards.
- Receive payments to your PayPal account
- If you choose PayPal as your payment processor, funds will be deposited into your PayPal account.
Processing fees and times
1. Processing fees:
Your account will not be charged with any additional transaction fees besides the fees determined by your payment processor and/or gateway. See below:
Get all the information you need regarding the different processing fees directly from your select providers’ website: Square processing fees, Stripe processing fees, PayPal processing fees.
2. Processing times:
PayPal: Payments are normally transferred to your PayPal account immediately. To transfer funds to your bank account, you will need to initiate a transfer from your PayPal account.
Square/Stripe: On newly created Square and Stripe accounts, payments normally take 5 - 7 business days to deposit directly into your bank account. This duration will likely shorten as your account becomes more established.
Currency for online payments
If you haven’t done so yet, make sure your currency is set up right for your payment and business location needs. To learn more about currency, go to the Setting up Payments article.
Connecting your payment processor
Once you’ve decided on the payment processing options right for you, here’s how you connect your account to one or several processors:
Step 1: Go to the Settings > Payments in your main menu.
Step 2: Scroll down to Choose your preferred payment methods, click Connect under your desired payment processor.
Step 3: If you connect to more than one credit card processor, you need to make one of them active by clicking on the appropriate radio button.
The image below displays an account that is connected to Square, Stripe & PayPal. Stripe is selected as the active processor for credit card payments:
Step 4: Click Save on top to save your settings.
Enable online payments
Once you are connected to the payment processors that are right for you, follow these steps to enable online payments:
Step 1: Go to Settings > Payments
Step 2: Go to the Payment Processing tab, and make sure your Currency options are set right for you.
Step 3: Choose from the following online payment activities:
- Clients can pay you online
- Clients can access their payment activity online
- Allow both options for a complete online payment experience, as displayed here:
Step 4: Click Save to save your changes.